Choose the Best VPN Service for PS4
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated VPN Services for PS4
8 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
VPN applications have long become an integral part of our computers, as much as antiviruses or browsers. The possibilities of such complex software solutions designed to ensure the safety and anonymity of the user when working on the Internet are not just wide, but sometimes even overabundant. However, the situation with such applications often resembles the state of affairs with modern smartphones. Manufacturers add more and more functions (sometimes quite exotic) to both phones and VPN programs, and users often not only do not use them, but even have no idea about their existence.
And at the same time, it may turn out that some well-known VPN program does an excellent job, for example, with overcoming the Great Chinese Firewall, but concurrently it cannot be installed on your router or set-top box. While all you need is not to manage a sophisticated disguise of the fact of using a VPN in order to avoid the visit of vigilant Chinese police officers, but just to get a reliable connection of your Smart TV to the Netflix video service, which is inaccessible in your region, not for political, but for purely geographical reasons.
In a word, it is worthwhile to carefully compare and analyze everything in order, on the one hand, to avoid unnecessary expenses by paying for features that, no matter how flawlessly they work, will probably not be used by you, and on another hand, to purchase a program that will work on your devices for sure and perform those tasks that are relevant to you.
Recently, researchers of the market for electronic devices have noted a very significant trend. Even those people whose work is directly related to a computer prefer to leave desktops and laptops for business purposes, and use various consoles, in particular, the Sony PlayStation 4, as home entertainment centers.
In this situation, users surprisingly find out that their favorite games can be blocked in different countries and sometimes for quite quirky reasons. Let’s say the statement by the Chinese government that Battlefield 4: China Rising poses a threat to the national security of this country can still be understood. In the end, the events in this game begin with the fact that Admiral Chang, backed up by Russia, plans a coup d’état in the Celestial Empire. Apparently, the architects of the Great Digital Wall have every reason to fear that such ideas may be enthusiastically accepted by some of their fellow citizens.
But look at Vietnam: the harmless Mega Man 5 is officially banned there, just because one of the Robot Masters is called Napalm Man. The Vietnamese authorities demanded from the manufacturer to rename this hero, the developers refused and got into an eternal ban.
The die-hard position of the software company on this issue, in all likelihood, should be regarded as an attempt to win their personal Vietnam War. As for the users who want to play their favorite games, regardless of geopolitical showdowns, a VPN was invented.
However, if you are reading this article, then you probably know how you are going to use the VPN capabilities on your set-top box. Or, to be more precise, what additional possibilities when using a Sony PlayStation will open up for you installing a VPN.
If, at the moment, you do not have the time or the mood to read long texts and go into subtleties, then here is a short annotated list of Top-five VPN services that are guaranteed to work great on your set-top box.
Briefly – about the main things
- NordVPN. A recognized leader in all kinds of ratings and reviews, a universal all-in-one solution for any task involving the use of a VPN. Not the cheapest software solution.
- ExpressVPN. Powerful VPN program with 3000+ servers in 94+ countries. Provides fast and reliable connections to even the most inaccessible and exotic streaming services. Just like NordVPN, ExpressVPN supports almost all known devices.
- Surfshark. A relatively young VPN solution on the market, but it has already managed to make a serious competition to recognized leaders due to the huge number of functions that the user gets for a more than affordable price. The program can be installed on an unlimited number of devices, which means that even if you purchase it, first of all, for the Sony PlayStation 4, then, without spending a cent more, you can use it on any available computers, smartphones, and tablets.
- CyberGhost VPN. The program supports any commercially available device and any program you may download and install. Has an impressive list of presets, including ones for a quick connection to streaming services.
- IP Vanish VPN. Not the most outstanding program on our list. However, its undoubted advantage is the possibility of simultaneous installation on 10 devices. But, to be sincere, in comparison with other programs in our Top-five, this can be considered a very conditional profit, especially if you remember that SurfShark does not limit the number of connections at all.
Both God and the Devil are in the details
Perhaps at the moment, you are so busy that you absolutely do not have time for long texts. Nevertheless, it is unlikely that you will pay your hard-earned money for a program about which you have only read a couple of general phrases. Before making an informed decision, more accurate and complete information is needed. Here it is.
We did not analyze our Top-five programs for all possible parameters, such as a list of protocols for a secure connection or traffic encryption algorithms. Obviously, for an application whose main task is to work on a Sony PlayStation, these features are not decisive. Therefore, we will focus on the availability and implementation of precisely those functions that will allow you to quickly connect to the maximum number of streaming services (ideally, to any one) and get smooth and stable content playback.
For this reason, below, we will focus on such aspects as supported platforms and devices, speed and reliability of the connection, the number of servers and countries in which they are located, the nuances of working with various services, etc.
Consistently high download and upload speed in any geographic direction. Nord VPN has 5 255 servers located in 59 countries on all continents, excluding the Arctic and Antarctica.
- The list of the most famous streaming services supported by NordVPN is as follows: Netflix, Hulu, Sky Go, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, ABC, CBS, NBC, ITV, Channel 4. It goes without saying that these channels do not exhaust NordVPN’s streaming rebroadcasting capabilities.
- NordVPN provides its users with Static IP. Static IP is a must in some games and when connecting to certain network resources.
- SmartPlay – is the premium option that is more than handy for streaming services. Whenever you start software that requires you to modify your real DNS for proper operation, NordVPN automatically selects and turns on the applicable option from its arsenal. The application also gives the user access to a wide range of thin manual settings.
- Filtration of malware and unwanted advertisements based upon the system of black and white lists.
- As the name implies, thanks to this feature, you will be spared numerous banners, pop-ups, breaks in broadcasts for ads, and other garbage that can spoil with its meddlesomeness the impression of watching even the most exciting video content.
- Obfuscation. The technology that, while retaining all the benefits of using a VPN for you, at the same time presents you to any service to which you connect, like a regular user, using no means other than a browser. This can be important for some streaming services, which in order to maintain their geo-restrictions, prohibit access to their resources through a virtual personal network. Also, as mentioned above, this feature allows you to play your favorite games even in those countries where they are officially blocked.To add an extra degree of secrecy, NordVPN uses Onion Over VPN technology commonly used in Tor solutions and the Darknet, to be superimposed on NordVPN’s anonymization capabilities.
This solution can be very handy if you prefer to watch movies and listen to music using torrent technologies, or if you are interested in the content available only in the Dark Internet segment.
- The split tunneling function allows you to significantly increase the total speed of your Internet browsing. Its essence lies in the fact that by turning on a VPN on your device (as you know, the use of this technology inevitably leads to some decrease in the data transfer speed), you decide which programs to use this secure tunnel, and which ones to interact with the Network directly. Thus, on the one hand, for tasks requiring the use of a VPN, much more space remains in the virtual personal network tunnel, and on the other hand, those programs that do not need such tricks can initially work without any speed limits.
- Besides Sony PlayStation 4, NordVPN supports the following devices: Android TV,Western Digital My Cloud, DD-WRT routers, NAS boxes, including Synology, Western Digital My Cloud, and QNAP, Raspberry Pi, And, of course, much more.
- NordVPN works on all operating systems: Windows, macOS, Linux, mobile devices based on Android, iOS, and Android TV. In addition, there are extensions for the Chrome and Firefox browsers.
- NordVPN allows you to connect up to 6 devices at the same time within a single subscription. However, the program allows installation on a router and further connection to it of an unlimited number of stationary and mobile devices available in the house.
- NordVPN offers a quite reasonable tariff plan: 36 months – $2.99 per month, 24 months – $3.92 per month, 12 months – $6.88 per month, 1 month – $11.76 per month, and guarantees the 30-days refund
- Using the OpenVPN TCP protocol can result in dramatic speed drops.
- NordVPN is struggling to provide a stable connection and reliable rebroadcast of the British service BBC iPlayer. However, this only applies to connecting to BBC iPlayer directly through apps. When connecting via a browser extension, there are no problems at all.
- Connecting to Amazon Prime Video may also require some extra tweaks.
- NordVPN will charge you additional fees to use this feature.
- In NordVPN this feature works only on Android-based devices.
- Reliable connection to some services is possible only through browser extensions.
- NordVPN’s subscription pricing is hardly the most competitive. Among the programs presented in our Top-five, you can find much more attractive offers. Plus, some of the apps in our roundup (like SurfShark) have really tangible discounts on shorter subscription periods than NordVPN.
Sufficiently high and stable speed. ExpressVPN’s losses are about 15 percent on load and about 30 percent on upload – a very decent result for programs of this class.
- ExpressVPN has 3,000+ servers in 94 countries.
- ExpressVPN has a split tunneling feature that dramatically improves the overall performance of the system on which it is installed.
- Port forwarding. By activating this feature, users can remotely access their devices connected through the router with ExpressVPN installed.
- MediaStreamer – a technology that is also known as SmartDNS in other VPN programs. With its assistance, a user can access media resources from devices that were not designed to work with a VPN.
- Just like the already mentioned NordVPN, ExpressVPN supports all known streaming services and makes broadcasting smooth and stable, fast enough to watch movies in 4K.
- Besides Sony PlayStation 4, ExpressVPN works flawlessly with Smart TVs, Android TV (including all kinds of TV-sticks), and routers. Of course, ExpressVPN can be installed on DD-WRT devices too.
- ExpressVPN supports all operating systems and platforms.
- ExpressVPN provides a 30-day refund. The return procedure is quite simple and reliable.
- ExpressVPN doesn’t allow a user to run this function neither on Windows nor iOS.
- ExpressVPN doesn’t support this feature for torrenting. However, p2p file sharing is clearly not the priority task for which Sony PlayStation 4 consoles are manufactured and bought.
- ExpressVPN does not have specially configured servers dedicated to torrenting files. For other types of network activity, in particular (which is especially important in this context) for connecting to streaming providers, the program has a lot of effective presets. However, as regards torrenting, the user will have to manually select the optimal configuration in an empirical way.
- There is no split tunneling on iOS.
- ExpressVPN does not have a trial, and the pricing for this program can rightfully be called extortionate, especially when you compare them with other programs in this round-up. ExpressVPN charges the following for its service: 1 month – $12.95, 6 months – $9.99 per month, 12 months – $8.32 per month
Surfshark VPN performs very well in all speed tests. Depending on the chosen protocol and the geography of the route, the download losses are from 5 to 20 percent, while the upload – from 20 to 30 percent.
- Surfshark has 3,200 servers in 65 countries.
- CleanWeb, a collection of filters from Surfshark — is an efficient tool for removing undesirable web content.
- Separate tunneling, unlike NordVPN, works on all operating systems.
- Surfshark, just like NordVPN, provides its users with Static IP. However, unlike NordVPN, which requires a fee to activate this feature, Surfshark offers this option for free.
- By paying for a subscription to Surfshark for any period, the user can use this program on an unlimited number of devices.
- The list of the most popular streaming services supported by Surfshark looks like this: Netflix, Disney +, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO, Max & Go, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, Hotstar, Peacock, TМ Crunchyroll, Fubo TV, YouTube TV, Yle areena, Yle abema, TV ESPN & ESPN +, ITV Hub, All 4, Stan, Crave. These are just a few of the services Surfshark perfectly works with.
- Surfshark is a versatile program that works confidently with all devices that require Internet access and streaming relaying. In particular, besides Sony PlayStation4, Surfshark supports Xbox, FireTV, Apple TV, Android TV, DD-WRT routers, Smart TV, TV-sticks.
- Surfshark works with all operating systems and on all platforms.
- Surfshark has the most attractive among the programs reviewed in this review and possibly one of the most attractive tariff plans on the market: 1 month – $11.95 per month, 12 months – $5.99 per month, 24 months – $1.99 per month.
- Surfshark does not support DAZN sports streaming service.
- The Linux version of Surfshark does not have a graphical interface and is intended solely to be operated with the terminal.
CyberGhost has 2 606 servers in 90 countries.
- CyberGhost showed the following results when connected to a broadband Internet that provides two-way packets transfer at a stable speed of 300 Mbps: Download speed: 149.9 Mbps; Upload speed: 25.8 Mbps;Slowdown percentage: 50% (average)
- CyberGhost works with all known streaming services.
- To block unwanted ads, CyberGhost uses a feature called AdBlock.
- CyberGhost works on all operating systems and platforms such as: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Smart TVs with Smart DNS from Samsung and LG, routers (not just DD-WRT, but also Tomato USB and Tomato USB Merlin build), streaming and gaming consoles with Smart DNS (Apple TV, Roku TV, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo), Synology NAS via OpenVPN and even Raspberry.
- CyberGhost has quite affordable and flexible pricing:One month: $12.99; One year: $3.99 per month; Two years: $3.49 per month; Three years: $2.25 plus two months for free. The 30-day money-back guarantee is a part of CyberGhost’s pricing, just like other VPN apps.
- When using some protocols that provide a secure connection, the speed can drop significantly.
- CyberGhost offers its users 1,300 IP addresses. This is several times less than what other programs undertake to provide. For comparison, NordVPN provides 5 201 IPs.
- Some users have reported unstable connections of CyberGhost with Netflix. However, such disruptions can be attributed to Netflix actively preventing its geo-restricted content from being viewed over a VPN. The need to constantly monitor banned servers and replace them with new ones can cause interruptions in any VPN application.
- Advertising filtering works only on the sites running on outdated unprotected HTTP protocols.
- If your device is on a local network, CyberGhost makes you completely invisible to everyone involved. Thus, sharing over the internal network of broadcasts received by the Sony PlayStation 4 or any other device becomes impossible.
- To receive a refund, you must indicate your desire to terminate the automatic renewal of your subscription no later than 13 days before the expiration of the 30-day period.
IP Vanish VPN
IPVanish has over 1 500 servers in 75 countries.
- IPVanish has an obfuscation option.
- Vanish offers to a user up to 10 connections for one subscription.
- The unique feature of IP Vanish is the support of encrypted cloud storage SugarSync that offers 500 GB for your files.
- According to the official website, IPVanish supports most of the popular streaming services, including Netflix.
- Besides the support of Sony PlayStation 4, IPVanish VPN works with Android TV.
- IPVanish VPN loses up to 30 percent download speed even on a broadband connection. In terms of upload, with a bare line speed of 500 Mbps, IP Vanish VPN was unable to perform better than 15.08 Mbps.
- The obfuscation offered by IPVanish VPN does not allow you to bypass the packet filtering system. In fact, it does not fulfill its functions. This is directly reported on the official website of the company.
- You will have to pay an extra fee for using this service.
- The speed and stability of the streaming services connection doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.
- IPVanish VPN doesn’t work with DD-WRT routers.
- Despite how lousy IPVanish VPN looks both with its set of functions and with the quality of its implementation, it is doubly strange to see such a tariff plan: 1 month – $10.00; 3 months – $8.99 per month; 12 months – $6.49 per month. Unlike the rest of the programs in this roundup, IPVanish VPN has just a seven-day money-back period.
Useful Video: How To Use VPN On PS4 (Best Method) | Get A VPN On PS4
All the advantages and disadvantages of the five programs from our list are discussed in detail in the tables above.
To summarize all that has been said very briefly, it should be stressed that only a relatively recent entry into the VPN market has not yet allowed SurfShark VPN to take a generally recognized leadership position. In terms of the variety of features and reliability of work, this program is on par with NordVPN and is ahead in many parameters of ExpressVPN – the well-known favorite of many reviews. At the same time, as regards the cost, Surfshark leaves any competitors far behind.
Talking about IPVanish VPN, it seems that its developers set out to demonstrate clearly how a VPN application should not look in any case.
If it really was their task, they coped with it one hundred percent.